Thursday, June 12, 2008

two weeks!

I HAVE RECEIVED ALL OF MY FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR POLAND!!! not only that, but i've gotten a little extra that i've been able to put toward camp decorations and crafts. i found some pretty exciting things for camp, such as a cd of "pirate music" and a really cool craft decorating picture frames.

right now, i'm sitting at a little cafe in new haven drinking coffee at a table outside using their WiFi. the brick walkway ("sherman's alley") and the castle-like buildings of yale that overlook the alley remind me of europe and make my heart happy and long to be there at the same time. i cannot express how excited i am to be going back to wrocław and seeing my dear friends again.

camp update -- so far ten students have registered for the camp (last year there were 25 students). the lesser number is due to exams that are scheduled during the beginning of the camp. some students are coming late, and many are not coming at all. please pray that God would bring the students that HE wants to be there, and that He would prepare the hearts of those that are coming. four or five of those registered are returning from last year, and so i'm very exciting to see them again!

job/summer update -- i have not found a summer job (i think i'm up to 10 applications?). honestly, i am now seeing the blessing that it really is, at least for right now. i've been able to spend time with friends that i have not seen for a while and do some summer activities, like going to the beach, spending time in new haven, staying out late, and reading books for fun. i've also been able to spend time with my family and do fun things with my sister. i'm also excited about our upcoming college group at church! through doing that i've been able to spend time with believers my own age at church and make some great friends. all in all, if building relationships was a paid job, i'd be rich this summer. =)

long-term-plans update -- in my last post, i mentioned an email i received from my friend jerry, a full-time missionary in poland, asking me to pray about going to poland long-term after i finish college. jerry and i talked on skype the other night and he told me more about the ministry at new hope church, a daughter church of wrocław baptist, and his desire to see a ministry to young people grow from that church. i am continuing to pray about being a part of this, and am excited to see if the Lord would bring me there to work with him! please continue to pray with me!

continue to check back for more regular updates as june 26th comes closer!

5 comments:

Dee said...

Hi Christine,

Thanks so much for the update. PLT about your funding!

Denise
Trinity Missions Committee

Anonymous said...

this is all so great! poland long term sounds like a really neat opportunity!

Tricia

Anonymous said...

Long term!! You didn't tell me THAT:-) And I just found you had a blog other than xanga...I am so slow. PTL that He has provided your funds! I am so looking forward to having you back here. Our registration list is growing slowly...keep praying!

Rebecca

Jim said...

As far as coffee goes...when I got to the Detroit airport on my way back home I spotted a Caribou Coffee and actually had, dare I say it?, a craving for coffee. As I sipped on the caffeine-loaded, super-sugary goodness of a chocolate-drizzled mocha latte - or whatever it was - I revisited memories of the short-term SENDers hitting up Starbucks and Caribou coffee. Good times : )

As far as summer plans go...I can relate to your experience of changing summer plans only to find that there's more time to enjoy with family. I was going to take a couple of on-line teaching methods courses, but after speaking with friends and family, decided that taking just one would be a better bet. Like you said, there are fewer experiences that are richer than the ones spent with family. : p

Bekah said...

this is all so exciting! :) i am praying for you during all of your final preparations before your trip. i hope you have a wonderful time. we'll try and call you tonight on our way to lancaster to pick our kitty! :)

love you
bekah :)